Keeping Healthy This Flu Season. Proper Hand Washing Techniques.
When should we clean our hands?
- Before and after eating
- When your hands are visibly soiled
- After using the bathroom
- After coughing or sneezing
- After touching your face, eyes or mouth etc.
- After touching public surfaces. Some examples: shopping cart, public transit handles
Here are a few ways of sanitizing:
Alcohol-based hand sanitizer is a great on the go option if you don't have access to proper hand washing facilities. After cleaning, make sure your hands are dry before you touch anything. This is very important when you use hand sanitizer.
If your hands are visibly soiled, you will need to use soap and water. Cleaning your hands takes only 20 seconds! Make sure you cover all surfaces on your hands and under nails. Singing Happy Birthday twice in your head is an easy way to ensure you've scrubbed long enough to kill most germs. Important: Prepare your paper towel in advance so you can avoid touching public surfaces. Don’t forget to use a paper towel to turn off the faucet and again to open the bathroom door. These surfaces if touched would recontaminate your cleansed hands.
1. Prepare adequate paper towel in advance.
2. Turn on faucet and wet hands.
3. Pump soap into hands and scrub vigorously for at least 20 seconds, or sing The Happy Birthday song twice.
4. Rinse hands thoroughly with water.
5. Use paper towel dry hands and to turn off faucet. Use that paper towel again to open the door exiting the bathroom. Then discard.
Let's stay protected and protect others this Flu season!!
back to blog